A Starbucks on Main Street USA and Other Stories

So… I spent last week in one of my favourite places, Orlando!

*happy dance*

DSCN0033

But I’m back now.

*grumpy face*

And still recovering from a missed night’s sleep (got a wonderfully cheap flight on Expedia but it involved flying through the night and then a nine — NINE — hour layover at Manchester airport), tackling the mountain of e-mails that built up while I was away and processing the truly devastating news that the awful people at Nabisco have evidently STOPPED MAKING OREO CAKESTERS.

*holds back tears*

When I was in Orlando in February I couldn’t find them in any supermarket, and only managed to bring some home because I found a stash of snack-packs in a 7-11. But on this trip: no Cakesters anywhere. The Oreo website only lists two disgusting Cakester flavors and there appears to be no mention of the original and best. This is just awful because if I’d known this was coming, I’d have ordered a few cases of them from Amazon and instructed everyone I know Stateside to buy up whatever stock they could find and mail it to me. I’ve tweeted Oreo for confirmation of this terribly upsetting news:

So far, no response. Stand by for details of me establishing a post-Cakester world support group.

Anyway, onto happier things…

Like a STARBUCKS IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM!

(Yes, we’re using a lot of superfluous capitalization today. Deal with it.)

Starbucks was always at Universal but never anywhere on Disney property, at least in Orlando. Until now. (Or until June, apparently.) Andrea and I nearly lost our tiny Starbucks-lovin’ minds when we headed for our traditional first stop on a Magic Kingdom morning, the Main Street Bakery, only to discover a familiar logo hanging outside it. And just LOOK AT THE CUTENESS:

starbucks

Keeping with the beverage theme, we also enjoyed some Butterbeer at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal’s Islands of Adventure and cheesecake fudge from Honeydukes:

DSCN0017

I also enjoyed what must be in the Top 5 Coolest Days of My Life at the all-new Kennedy Space Centre, where I not only saw the Space Shuttle Atlantis — the SPACE SHUTTLE ATLANTIS! — but I did a special behind-the-scenes tour that took me INSIDE the Vehicle Assembly Building.

DSCN0074

Think about it: that’s a SPACE SHIP you’re looking at. A SPACE SHIP!

DSCN0111

*shakes head in disbelief at memory*

I also bought a lot of coffee, as per usual:

IMG_2458

And read a lot of books by the pool (I managed an amazing 10 books over 10 days. My Goodreads Reading Challenge 2013 is SO in the bag!):

IMG_2436

And found these ADORABLY APPROPRIATE notecards at the airport:

IMG_2473

So that’s what I’ve been up to.

Now: what have I missed?

(Besides Jonathan Franzen acting like an entitled tool and Jennifer Weiner putting him in his place. Oh, Internet: I’ve missed you!)

24 thoughts on “A Starbucks on Main Street USA and Other Stories

1. katielookingforward says:

Yay!!! I’m not a starbucks fan, but that cup is so darn cute, I may have to make a stop the next time I’m there. Also, I am so glad you went to universal!! I always try to make it over there as well. I’m sorry about the cakesters decline, one of my college roommates loved those things and we always teased her about it.

2. Mia says:

I’m envious … I too love Orlando. We went down twice this summer. I remember the excited I felt at finding the Main Street Bakery and Starbucks = heaven! The ride were a blast and I could sit at the “Three Broom Sticks” chatting with “jac” all day! (With frozen butterbeer) Can’t wait to go back. I’m also envious you made through 10 books. … I could make it through one. Dang, I’ll have to go back!

3. Jennifer Barricklow says:

I know, I know, the Magic Kingdom etc. is all magical and such, but NOTHING compared to the Kennedy Space Center!!!! I was there long enough ago that I saw Atlantis ON THE LAUNCH PAD the day after the giant crawler had moved her out there. We got to watch ISS modules being assembled, modules we eventually saw being installed several shuttle missions later. And when I realized that our admission was good for TWO DAYS, I nearly swooned in geeky delight. So glad you got to go and even happier that you talked about it in public. Most people give me strange looks when I tell them my favorite part of my last trip to Orlando was going to the KSC. (I’m also glad you returned home safely and thank you for authorizing EXCESSIVE CAPITALIZATION for the purposes of this post.)

I’m sure we would both be horrified by the percentage of tourists who go to Orlando but don’t go to KSC… It’s the best part because it’s not made up: it’s a working space port! 🙂

(That last bit would’ve been in all caps but I’m on my phone, too much work!)

4. gracielynne6 says:

I hate to interrupt your post holiday honeymoon. But i have a question about Headliner associated with WordPress. I have launched my blog and I keep getting popups after launching 10 posts which suggest that I may have missed the bus if i don’t sign up with them. They have some language about licensing and copyright in the terms which seems a bit suspect and I am wondering if I just ad the Yoast plug in if I will not have the same advantage. Thanks please reply to gracielynne6@aol.com Thanks bunches!

It’s kind of like a root beer with soft-serve ice-cream on top (that makes the ‘froth’) and there’s like a toffee or butterscotch flavor in there somewhere that you can taste on your lips. Very nice but sweet: you’d only drink one of them!

It’s great. There’s the village of Hogsmeade, a themed restaurant, a Honeydukes, an Olivanders and a Hogswarts Express you can take your pic in front of, and then an amazing ride inside Hogwarts. You should wait a couple of years to go though: they’re apparently building loads more Harry stuff!

5. Elle Knowles says:

My friend was in Orlando about the same time you were! (If I am calculating correctly) Hummm….you could have passed each other in the street. I keep saying its my turn next!

6. Rebecca says:

I love reading by the pool. Hey, I never read the bottom part of your blog. Would you mind if I copy parts of it and put it at bottom of my blog? I’m getting way too much spam. I had no idea I could get rid of them either. I’ll have to check out the reading challenge Is it open for everyone. Glad you had fun.

7. jimbillchuck says:

Hi Catherine, I just found your blog, and while all the wonderful news about your writing is great, I’m interested in your thoughts on coffee.
    Coffee is my golden cow. It’s my illicit lover, it’s the last thing I think about before going to bed, and the first thing I shriek for when I wake up.
    Great site, by the way.