10 Things You Don’t Know About Me (Maybe)

Following in the footsteps of my Twitter friends Jane Travers and Rebecca Brown, I’m going to try to think of 10 things you maybe don’t already know about me. This is hard because I’ve already smeared the entrails of my life all over this blog and I may have to include one or two non-surprises, but let’s see….

1. If it has avocado in it, I’ll have it. With extra avocado.

I'm pretty sure students don't live like this. But isn't it pretty?

2. I love interior decorating. In my last job I had to dress a student apartment for showing and even though I highly doubt students use €10 place mats or put lemons and limes in bowls just because it looks pretty, it was the most fun EVER.

John Mayer aka the future Mr. Catherine Ryan Howard aka YUM. Don't care much for his personality but who the hell cares - are you looking at this pic??!!

3. Sunderland University is holding a place for me to begin studying for a degree in American Studies with English Literature in September of this year but I don’t think I’m going to go. What I really want to do is (a) be a successful novelist and (b) use the money from (a) to go to a university in the United States. Or marry John Mayer. You know, whichever.

Fortunately blue is my colour.

4. For five years all I wanted to do was be a civilian Biosafety Level 4 virologist specializing in haemorraghic fevers at the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) at Fort Detrick, Maryland, and spend my adult life incased in one of those blue suits from Outbreak. I gave up the dream when I realized to climb the top of that particular infectious ladder, I’d have to become a doctor. And develop a very strong stomach. And be an American citizen. And be willing to cut monkeys open.

Me and my fat monster arm on the cover of the North Brevard Beacon watching my first Space Shuttle launch. I'm crying, wearing no make-up and have had 4 hours sleep. Just saying.

5. A photograph of me appeared on the cover of Central Florida’s, ahem, esteemed North Brevard Beacon, in October 2007. I was watching my first (and only) Space Shuttle launch, had all my hair tucked up into a (NASA) baseball cap and was crying my eyes out. Mortification but good for my scrapbook.

Click to see inside my Disney scrapbook.

6. I love scrapbooking and I am AMAZING at it, if I do say so myself.

7. I read a lot of books about climbing Mount Everest even though I always take the elevator over the stairs.

Me acting like a tween at a Jonas Brothers concert and having my eyes half-closed while sitting next to the amazing Harlan Coben in Paris, April 2006. My best friend Sheelagh is standing behind us.

8. Harlan Coben is one of my favourite writers and I was a quivering wreck when I met him at a signing in Paris in 2006. He was impressed with my friend and I; we were the only English speakers in the queue and had traveled all the way from Breda in the Netherlands to Paris by train at Crazy O’Clock that morning just to see him. (And Paris, of course.) It was like meeting a rock star. Or John Mayer.

9. My favourite thing in the world to do is stand in front and slightly to the left of Cinderella’s Castle in the Magic Kingdom and watch Wishes, the nighttime fireworks and music show that closes Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and which Walt imagined would be the park’s ‘kiss goodnight’ to its guests. I cry every time. I feel lifted every time. It’s better than Prozac.

A note on the video: This is the full Wishes show. I love how several times during it, the audience thinks they’ve just witnessed the finale but they haven’t seen anything yet. (The finale actually starts around 10 minutes 30 seconds.) You can hear me and everyone else oohing and aahing throughout. And yes, I cry at the video too.

10. Growing up, I had three big dreams: (i) live and work in the United States, (ii) see a Space Shuttle launch from Cape Canaveral and (iii) be a published novelist. I give myself a hard time sometimes but try to remember that by the age of 27 two out of three ain’t bad.

Combined with this site’s About Me section, I think you now pretty much know everything.

Well, almost.

12 thoughts on “10 Things You Don’t Know About Me (Maybe)

1. catherineryanhoward says:

I am addicted to it probably as much as I’m addicted to coffee. They’re expensive little buggers but what can you do. (So is coffee really, when you think about it.) My favourite recipes are baked potato with feta cheese and avocado, wholewheat sandwich with salad, Canadian bacon and avocado, chicken salad with avocado…. Basically anything you can add avocado to, I’m there! 🙂

2. Ciara says:

I love John Mayer too!! Saw him in concert two weeks ago and I have to say, before I saw him on stage I wouldn’t have said I fancied him…but maaaaaan, him, on stage, strumming his guitar…phwaaaaaaor. I am normally much more eloquent than this but…sigh.

3. catherineryanhoward says:

I am SO jealous. Have never seen him live. (Afraid of what I might do…!) Did he sing Assassins? I have that song pretty much on repeat these days! He wasn’t always so pretty – think he started going to the gym a couple of years ago. Things changed drastically then! 😉

4. Jason Crowley says:

I need to widen my world, I thought World Fireworks Championship at Blackpool was pretty amazing till I watched the Disney vid 🙂

5. Ciara says:

That was the only thing that even slightly disappointed me, no “Assassin” in the set list. I recommended that song to a friend who listened to it and said she thought it was “too sexy” for her, would be utterly distracting! She’s not wrong! He did sing “Why Georgia” at the gig though…happy!

6. Andrea says:

Okay, I DID know most of these. I mean, c’mon…we were roommates for a year! 🙂 Although number 7 did surprise me. And of course, number 5 holds a special place in my memory!

7. catherineryanhoward says:

Well in fairness, No. 7 began when I was in Guatemala, desperate for reading material and stumbled across Into Thin Air by John Krakauer so you couldn’t have been expected to know that, despite your Former Roommate status! 🙂

8. Rebecca (aka @Boolawoola) says:

I really enjoyed reading this. I also love avocado (although not to your level!) but I have love Walt Disney World too. As well as it’s little sister Disneyland Paris… I love your scrap book and the video. Thanks for sharing. :o)

9. catherineryanhoward says:

You’re welcome Rebecca. Do you like John Mayer too because if you do I fear we might be the same person? (Scary sidenote: I was nearly called Rebecca!) I went back for last April and I’m hoping to pop over this summer too. I need my annual sunshine/Kennedy Space Center/fireworks fix! 🙂

10. dirtywhitecandy says:

I’ve read Into Thin Air as well! And have been devouring other books about climbing Everest (do you know Anatoli Boukreev wrote his version of the Into Thin Air story? And Beck Wethers, the guy they left for dead?) Am deeply jealous that you watched a Space Shuttle launch.

You rock!

11. catherineryanhoward says:

Oooh, I’d be really interested in reading Beck Wethers’ account! Have you read Touching the Void? Not about Everest but probably one of THE best books in the genre. Really tough going though – absolutely harrowing story.