B is for…

31 May

While I (a) struggle to believe that today is the last day of May, (b) try to drum up the motivation to clean my apartment and (c) prepare for binge-watching 24 with my brother tonight (I’m STILL waiting for someone to say, ‘Send it to my screen!’), I have a few things to tell you…

B is for #BookADay

Starting tomorrow, June 1st, Harper Collins are inviting book-lovers everywhere to participate in #bookaday. The idea is that every day for the month of June, you share a book a day on Twitter.

I’m doing this, and I can tell you: I’m doing this seriously. I’ve already made my picks, photographed them unnecessarily and queued them all up in Buffer. In four short weeks I’ve to leave my beloved apartment and embark on a move to Dublin, and who knows what kind of grim bedsit I could end up in there, so this is kind of like a just-in-case goodbye to my bookshelves, as they may have been banished back to a storage unit by the end of the summer. (Nooooooo!)

Here are a sneak peek at some of my choices (although, if you’ve been around these parts for a while, none of them will come as a surprise to you):

bookcollage

I think this is going to be so fun, and we all might discover some new books to add to the TBR pile. And bonus: it gives you something to tweet about too.

B is for Belfast

Two weeks from today (Saturday 14th June), I’ll be in Belfast with Alison Baverstock and Andrew Moore, at LitNetNI’s Way with Words: Literature Development Day.

bbf

The afternoon will focus on self-publishing with an inspiring and revealing session fromAlison Baverstock, a hugely experienced publisher, trainer and writer on all aspects of publishing, marketing and reading. She is the author of The Naked Author – a Guide to Self-Publishing. The session will explore the publishing process in an informative, practical way and there will be lots of opportunities for questions. This event will feature Catherine Ryan Howard, writer and blogger from Cork whose self-publishing adventures began with the release of her travel memoir, Mousetrapped, in 2010 and Belfast writer AGR Moore who self-published The Unseen Chronicles of Amelia Black in 2011 and a picturesque fable A Boy Named Hogg in 2012. Find out how they published without the backing of a mainstream publishing house and pick up tips on how to raise your profile, promote, market and sell your book.

Find out more about the event and the Belfast Book Festival here.

B is for… Um… Well…

So okay, there’s no ‘B’ for this, but UK TV fans, I’ve a public service announcement for you: Amber starts on BBC Four this week.

You have been warned.

17 Responses to “B is for…”

1. Wolfgar Lycanthropos May 31, 2014 at 11:40 #

Always love your posts Catherine…..I raise my Lindt 85% dark and glass of Shiraz to you….

2. TAWilliams May 31, 2014 at 12:17 #

That worn copy of Jurassic Park reminds me of my copy. That spine had been all but destroyed after I read that thing dozens of times. I like the #BookADay idea and will have to participate!

3. VIVIMETALIUM May 31, 2014 at 12:44 #

Reblogged this on VIVIMETALIUN.

4. Kate Sparkes May 31, 2014 at 14:22 #

Ooh, fun! I don’t know if I’ll have books for every day (and definitely don’t have them all around to photograph), but I’ll give it a shot. :)

• catherineryanhoward May 31, 2014 at 14:29 #

You’re not supposed to photograph them; I just never met a procrastination activity I didn’t like!

• Kate Sparkes May 31, 2014 at 14:30 #

But photos make tweets so much more fun! I fully support your procrastination. It’s much more productive than mine. :)

5. L.S. Engler May 31, 2014 at 18:20 #

#BookADay sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing it; now I think I might want to participate, too! I’m worried I’ll probably forget about it, but I’m going to at least try.

6. Elaine Jeremiah May 31, 2014 at 19:10 #

Good luck at the book festival. Hope you have a lovely time. Sounds great. :)

7. A. B. Davis May 31, 2014 at 21:36 #

Great post, Catherine! I will be looking forward to joining the #bookaday movement with you. :D Have fun in Belfast!

8. Danielle de Valera May 31, 2014 at 23:41 #

Good luck with the move, Catherine.

9. Zig June 1, 2014 at 02:44 #

Sounds like a fun event in Belfast! Doh – it clashes with work stuff that cannot be rescheduled! Hope you have a great time at it :)

10. Danielle Lenee Davis June 1, 2014 at 17:24 #

I wish I could go to something like the Belfast Book Festival! Have fun, Catherine!

11. Harliqueen June 2, 2014 at 10:38 #

I completely missed the end of May, like I’d just dismissed it because I was denying it :D

Great post, that bookaday thing sounds interesting! :) Good choices.

12. Aidan Reid June 2, 2014 at 15:10 #

Gutted to miss the event in my hometown of Belfast as I’ll be in Brazil. Hope the media pick it up because I’d be keen to read more about the process of self-publishing and the latest stats on Mousetrapped (I’ve already devoured your posts on this topic – your honesty is very refreshing). Keep up the good work!

13. Rebecca June 3, 2014 at 16:03 #

Glad I read this post. I’m on board now for bookaday, but wondering if I’ll be able to select a book for each category. Will give it a try. Thanks and God bless.

14. Jess Witkins June 6, 2014 at 00:34 #

I haven’t heard of BookADay. How fun! I’m sad I’m late to the party. I will have to start participating. I like your picks. Jurassic Park is a fave movie of mine, but…I’ve never read the book. I know, I know, I’m a terrible human being! Must add it to my goodreads queue.

15. K.J. Bryen June 17, 2014 at 21:19 #

Unfortunately I’m moving too, and I’ve already moved my books so I can’t do it! Sounds fun though. Good luck on your move to Dublin :)