11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best Writers

5 May

The last time we had a guest post from Laura Pepper Wu (11 Signs You’re Meant To Be A Writer), things went a bit nuts, with her post getting nearly 100 comments and being shared nearly 200 and over 400 times on Twitter and Facebook respectively. Today she’s back to share news of her new app, Write On! Daily Kick-Ass Writing Inspiration: 365 Tips & Quotes from the World’s Best Writers, and 11 of her favorite such quotes for those self-doubt-filled, motivation-lacking, no-amount-of-coffee-can-get-this-going bad writing days. Welcome back, Laura!

‘Having a bad writing day? Read (and bookmark!) these 11 quotes.

We all have ‘em once in while – awful, dragging, low writing-motivation days. The last thing you want to do is open up that folder on your computer, the one marked ‘WIP’.

You're a writer

Sometimes it helps to know you’re not alone (you’re definitely not), and that this too shall pass (especially with a glass of wine or two). For me, it always helps to read words of wisdom from an admirable writer too. Here’s a collection of my favorites taken from the new app Write On! Daily Kick-Ass Writing Inspiration 365 Tips & Quotes from the World’s Best Writers.

1. “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.” – Jodi Picoult

Take the pressure off yourself by focusing on simply getting some words onto the page and not worrying whether the result is good or bad. The refining and shaping can come later.

2. “A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.” – Author Unknown

Know that writing is not meant to be all butterflies and rainbows, and that sometimes the crappy days are what make you a stronger writer!

screenshot

A screenshot from Laura’s new app

3. “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” – Richard Bach

Choose to go pro, and know that a big part of that is not allowing yourself to give up.

4. “Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now. All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” – Ernest Hemingway

If things are really bad, aim to write just one good sentence. Not only is it better than a hundred bad sentences, it might also give you the encouragement to write more.

5. “Asking “Why?” can lead to understanding. Asking “Why not?” can lead to breakthroughs.” – Daniel Pink

If you feel stuck with a chapter, section, or storyline, think about the problem in another way. Turn the question upside down and you might just have the breakthrough you need!

6. “Alternating the thoughtful task of writing with the mindless work of laundry or dish washing will give you the breaks you need for new ideas and insights to occur. If you don’t know what comes next in the story… clean your toilet. Change the bed sheets. For Christ sakes, dust the computer. A better idea will come.” – Chuck Palahniuk

I’ve found this over and over again; doing something mindless (but somewhat productive), allows me to tap into a different part of the brain that comes up with ideas. Now I’m no neuroscientist, so I can’t tell you why, but I do know that this works. Exercise, especially stretching, seems to have the same effect. Try it!

App-Icon-300x300

7. “I find it hard to start writing in the morning; but the dejection lasts only 30 minutes, and once I start I forget all about it. – Virginia Woolf

If you don’t feel like getting started, commit to just 30 minutes (or 15, or even 3), and more than likely you’ll keep going past that mark. The hardest part is often just getting started, but once you’ve started you’ll find that you might as well just keep going!

8. “To feed your muse… you must still take long walks around your city or town, or walks in the country by day. And long walks, at any time, through bookstores and libraries.” – Ray Bradbury

Take a hike! I have my best ideas while walking the dog, and frequently have to hurry home to get them onto paper. There’s something about being out in nature, or being inspired by people and objects around us that can trigger new ideas and motivation. Plus, the act of moving forwards can extend onto the page. When in doubt, take a walk and you’ll get back to your desk refreshed.

9. “It’s no secret that the best place to write, in my opinion, is in a café. You don’t have to make your own coffee, you don’t have to feel like you’re in solitary confinement and if you have writers block, you can get up and walk to the next café while giving your batteries time to recharge and brain time to think.” – J.K. Rowling

Get thee to a cafe! (Catherine will no doubt agree with this suggestion to go get caffeinated…)

10. “Read, read, read. Read everything — trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! – William Faulkner

Feed yourself a diet of books, and you’ll probably see that it helps improve your writing. If the writing isn’t happening, I never feel guilty for opening up a book and reading a chapter or two. After all we’ve got to remember why we’re doing this in the first place!

11. “The story I am writing exists, written in absolutely perfect fashion, some place, in the air. All I must do is find it, and copy it.”- Jules Renard

Take the pressure off yourself by imagining that you’re simply a conduit, conducting your story from the air and onto the page. Somehow telling myself this takes the pressure off, and I get out of my own way and let the words fall onto the page. Interestingly, the Grammy-award winning artist Pharrell believes that all his work is created this way, and if it’s good enough for him, it’s definitely good enough for me!

Over to you… Have a favorite quote that helps you get through the bad writing days? Leave a comment, I’d love to hear it!’

LauraPW-Headshot-CroppedLaura Pepper Wu is the founder and editor of The Write Life Magazine and 30 Day Books. Write On! is her newest app. Each day you’ll get an inspirational or instructional quote from one of the world’s best writers. It’s available for $0.99 (for a limited time) in the Apple App Store here.

35 Responses to “11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best Writers”

1. Journey Photographic May 5, 2014 at 14:09 #

As an avid reader but active photographer, it’s amazing how many of these quotes can be applied to photography (or, I suspect, any creative field) – thank you both for sharing them with us!

2. cttbbelliott May 5, 2014 at 14:32 #

Reblogged this on COURAGE TIMES THREE.

3. Lauren Clark May 5, 2014 at 14:56 #

Love it! Can’t argue with the Read, Read, Read…! Laura Papper Wu just recommended that I read JoJo Moyes’ “Me Before You” and it’s giving me all sorts of inspiration :)

4. Beth @plasticrosaries May 5, 2014 at 15:03 #

I always go back to Charles Bukowski’s So you want to to be a writer? on bad days. Makes me think that if one day nothing comes, there will be a day where it does and that’s OK :)!

5. gerhogan May 5, 2014 at 15:31 #

So, I’m not actually procrastinating as I read this, instead — I’m actually preparing to write! Good to know we all have something in common with Virginia Woolf, now and again!

6. Collecting Conversations May 5, 2014 at 15:31 #

Just what I needed to read this Monday morning. Thanks for sharing!

7. jenanita01 May 5, 2014 at 15:31 #

brilliant advice, some of which I do already, but must do more…

8. Timothy Pike, freelance copy editor May 5, 2014 at 15:32 #

Very inspiring, thanks!

9. Ali Isaac May 5, 2014 at 15:58 #

Walking the dog somewhere beautiful always works for me! As does taking a break to do some ‘mindless’ chore. Also driving, anything mundane which sets my mind free to wander, in fact, instead of chaining it to my laptop (even if she is beautifully red and shiny and called FoxyRoxy!) And btw, I have always felt that my stories come to me from elsewhere, and that I am just the conduit.

10. K. A. Smith May 5, 2014 at 16:49 #

This is exactly what I needed today! Thanks!

11. Harliqueen May 5, 2014 at 17:37 #

Very motivating and inspiring quotes! Makes me want to get writing :D

12. sjoycarlson May 5, 2014 at 17:40 #

Awesome thanks for sharing :)

13. shelleyhazen83 May 5, 2014 at 18:02 #

Reblogged this on Line, word, letter and commented:

14. melaniejoy719 May 5, 2014 at 20:01 #

Reblogged this on Head in the Clouds and commented:
    So true. Every one of them.

15. Dianne May 5, 2014 at 22:11 #

Reblogged this on Dianne E.C.E..

16. logangrey20 May 6, 2014 at 03:22 #

I agree with the exercise suggestion. Just getting the blood flowing helps my mood and makes me motivated to try and tackle the enormous task of editing my novel.

17. Emily Heart May 6, 2014 at 04:39 #

Thank you, this is just what I needed. It’s true that getting started is the hardest part for me and then I’m in another world and time stops altogether and I pray for no interruptions, which is laughable in a house with two kids.

18. Laura Pepper Wu (@LauraPepWu) May 7, 2014 at 06:34 #

Thanks so much for having me on, Catherine! Always a good time! :)

19. Sherry Marshall May 7, 2014 at 08:18 #

Wonderful. All of life is ‘grist for the mill’ for writing. Amazing what my mind comes up with when I’m not writing that gets translated into my novel.

20. Marie Moneysmith May 10, 2014 at 17:20 #

What a brilliant app! Thanks for the heads up.

21. Rebecca May 12, 2014 at 13:11 #

Catherine, I like these tips especially #1 and #10. Great post. God bless.

22. Cat Michaels May 12, 2014 at 20:31 #

I am pinning all 11 to my forehead as we speak … well, I would if they would fit there. Thanks for brightening my day!

23. lyngilleland May 13, 2014 at 20:39 #

Reblogged this on Gilleland Creations and commented:
    Everyone needs a few good quotes to remember when the going gets tough. Here are 11 that have been collected and commented on by a fellow blogger. Hope you enjoy!

24. dianabletter May 15, 2014 at 05:06 #

Great ideas! I would add, “Give yourself permission to write badly.” And be patient – it took years but after self-publishing The Mom Who Took Off On Her Motorcycle, I sold my novel to William Morrow/HarperCollins. So don’t give up! I have some encouraging words to add in my blog (thank you Catherine, for urging me to start a blog!) here http://thebestchapter.com/2014/05/14/this-self-published-writers-dream-comes-true-a-publishing-house-contract/

25. Joanne Clancy May 15, 2014 at 15:11 #

I couldn’t agree more with no. 6. Washing dishes is usually the best way for me to clear my head and get my stories straight. Thank you :)

26. merrybond22 May 22, 2014 at 13:09 #

I love inspiring quotes! Thanks so much for these.
    My favorite is “embrace failure”. Once you do that you can never go wrong, in my opinion. :-) I’ll definitely share this with my writing students.

27. missdreamymarie July 3, 2014 at 00:03 #

Reblogged this on Miss DreamyMarie and commented:
    Inspirational quotes for those bad writing days! This is a great post!

28. symonae July 8, 2014 at 22:03 #

Reblogged this on clamabo and commented:
    Great inspirational writing tips!

29. mariahjholmes August 11, 2014 at 00:02 #

Reblogged this on Written In Steel.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dr Mustapha Tahir on a very inspiring article. | Dr Mustapha Tahir - May 5, 2014

[…] 11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best Writers. […]

2. 11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best Writers | Rebecca Nolen - May 7, 2014

[…] 11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best Writers. […]

3. Monday Must-Reads [05/12/14] - May 13, 2014

[…] 11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best Writers | Catherine, Caffeinated […]

4. 60 & 61: Energy Drinks, Chandelier, Anna - May 18, 2014

[…] Caffeinated- http://catherineryanhoward.com/2014/05/05/11-inspiring-quotes-from-the-worlds-best-writers/ -11 Inspiring Quotes from the World’s Best […]

5. Tipsday: Writerly Goodness found on the Interwebz May 4-17, 2014 | Writerly Goodness - May 21, 2014

[…] Laura Pepper Wu write a guest post for Catherine Ryan Howard about 11 inspiring quotes from the world’s best writers. […]

6. Positive Acts Build Self-Esteem: Do the Small Things Well | THE BEST CHAPTER - May 25, 2014

[…] Each morning sees some task begin, Each evening sees it close; Something attempted, something done, Has earned a night’s repose. Some uplifting, inspiring, kick-in-your-knickers quotes to get your wheels rolling while you write can be found here. […]