Why I Don’t Have a Kindle… And Why I Will Soon

12 Oct

WHY I DON’T HAVE A KINDLE:

As I mentioned at the top of Friday’s post (11 Ingredients of a Sizzling Book Description) I have temporarily relocated to France for  a few weeks. It’s a sort of self-imposed writing retreat that I’m only too happy to self-impose, as you can imagine. I did it last year too, and if there was one thing I learned (well, two; I also learned that bringing your entire West Wing box set doesn’t lead to productivity), it was to bring enough books to last me the length of my stay. There’s only a couple of places here that stock English books, and if I haven’t read them already, rest assured they cost twenty-five or thirty percent more than they do at home and I need the money I have for baguettes and cafe cremes and making the most of the dazzling display that is the average French supermarket’s yogurt aisle.

So since the beginning of the summer, I’ve been stockpiling books. It was nice, actually, watching them pile up—I didn’t have any time to read over the last couple of months, so the prospect of being able to get to them all some day soon seemed like a surreal daydream. And last Tuesday, by some miracle, I managed to fit twenty-five of them into my luggage and lug them here without paying an extra cent. The paperbacks got stacked upright in the bottom of my checked bag; the hardbacks lay flat in my carry-on, under my computer.

But I’ve no shoes. A pair of flip-flops and a pair of ballet flats, and that’s it. And they only got to come because they pack flat. And nothing remotely warm to wear, even though it occurs to me now that it’ll be the end of November when I return home and that even before then, the nights here will be pretty chilly. And although I managed to squeeze the Babyliss Big Hair down the side of the bag, there was no room for my hairdyer, and the one here seems to be more for eyelashes.

So why did I sacrifice shoes, clothes and hairdryer space for 25 books that could all have fit onto something smaller than one of them, along with a thousand more?

Why haven’t I bought a Kindle, if even only for traveling?

I asked myself the same question as I thought I heard something snap (a vertebrae…?) during my effort to hoist a 10kg+ place into the overhead baggage compartment while looking like it’s as light as a feather because really you shouldn’t put things that weight into the overheads.

The answer is value added joy.

Kindle purists will say that I’ve wasted money on the physical books (when I could’ve had the e-book editions for less, in most cases) and that I’ve wasted space in my luggage packing them (when a Kindle would’ve fit in my back pocket). They’ll also say that in the near future, when the books are read, I’ll waste more space storing them on a shelf, and that by then, they’ll be utterly pointless objects: books already read, gathering dust.

But they’re wrong. Totally wrong. Because as I’ve said before (Why, For Me, Print Will Never Be Extinct), reading is just one of the pleasures I get from my books. I love the books themselves; I love arranging them on my bookcase or stacked on a tabletop or carefully placed in my beach bag; I love seeing them around me, both waiting to be read and as a reminder of where I was when I read them.

Take the three books above, just as an example. Aren’t they beautiful things? The Next Best Thing reminds me of L.A.—just glancing at the cover makes me think back to my fabulous trip there in June. I read Where’d You Go, Bernadette on the beach in the sun last week, and I loved it. So now every time I see that book, I feel a flutter of joy at the memory, both of being on the beach and of laughing my head off at the hilarious words inside. And I haven’t read Beautiful Ruins yet, but the exquisite cover has had me thinking of the Italian coast since the day it arrived in an Amazon box, and I’m saving it for a reading session in a town that looks a lot like the cover art, a day that might start in a waterside cafe before moving to a pebble beach, carry onto the train and end back here in the apartment with a coffee on the cooling balcony and the fading heat of summer skin, where I’ll reach THE END and close the book, smile to myself, and know that not only have I had the most wonderful day, but that forever more catching a glance of that beautiful cover art, the mere glimpse of the title on the spine, will bring me straight back to that day, a permanent, tangible, physical reminder of that joy, the book itself now the flip of a switch that sends happiness spreading through my heart.

Your move, Kindle.

YOUR MOVE.

WHY I WILL HAVE A KINDLE SOON:

I wrote everything above this morning (I’m writing this on Thursday), and that was where the post was supposed to stop.

But then a couple of things happened. First,  I got an e-mail about something that would involve reading e-books because there’s no physical equivalent; the books are only being published in electronic form. And if I have to read an e-book, I’d pick a Kindle over a computer screen or tiny phone any day. Second, I finished The Treatment by Mo Hayder.

I can’t quite believe that I’ve let myself, a crime fiction fan, get this far into life without reading anything by Mo Hayder. I brought Birdman and The Treatment with me, and read them both in the last three days. The Treatment was probably one of the best crime novels I’ve ever read, and it gave me nightmares last night. This morning its ending nearly had me in tears.

And I immediately wanted to read the next book in the series. Like, now.

But I can’t. I have to wait until I go back home, or scour the slim pickings of English books around here in the hope of not only finding a Mo Hayer title, but the next one in the series.

How much easier it would’ve been, this morning, to boot up a Kindle and download the next book straightaway, be reading it within seconds…

And The Treatment is a paperback. I turned it over in my hands this morning, just post-THE END, and thought about how, unlike the books described above, I’ll never glance at it and think, Oooh, what a wonderful time I had reading that! And it won’t just be because it’s subject matter would forbid such a response—it’s because the book is just your average book, not especially pretty or special.

I’d be okay just reading it on a Kindle, is what I’m saying. (I think.)

So maybe the time is coming. Soon. There’s work-related things I have to read and sometimes, they don’t come in a physical copy. And not all books come with value added joy. Maybe one of these days—these days on this side of Christmas—I’ll open an Amazon box, and inside it will be the Kindle I ordered.

(Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!)

54 Responses to “Why I Don’t Have a Kindle… And Why I Will Soon”

1. Catherine October 12, 2012 at 08:42 #

I’m also a dill for packing too many books (in Corsica this summer I didn’t bring enough!) and having books, sleeping by them, stacking your bookshelves, delving into them again, is a pleasure I can’t foresee enjoying with a Kindle reader. Practical yes, but this is a girl who also crowds her bag with shoes and then some. Good on you for relocating for a stretch. How I would love some of that!

2. Sarah Wright October 12, 2012 at 08:56 #

Girl, go on and get you a Fire! I had a 1st Generation Kindle that I got for my birthday a few years ago. Then last year, for my birthday, I decided I wanted the 3rd generation one. This year before my birthday, I decided that I wanted the Fire, so I got one. I just pre-ordered one of the new ones that come out next month and am SO excited!!

I like physical books, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the books that I read are big ones (not Stephen King “big”, but still pretty heavy!), so the Kindle made perfect sense for me!

I still have physical books that I will never get rid of…mainly ones that are my favorite and/or ones that have been signed by the author. Those aren’t goin’ ANYWHERE!

You will love your Kindle!

• jjtoner October 12, 2012 at 09:04 #

Unfortunately, the Kindle Fire is not available outside of the USA. I’d love to buy one, but I’m stuck with my plain old Kindle.

• chemistken October 12, 2012 at 14:30 #

Really? I thought it had moved outside the USA quite a while ago. What’s Amazon’s problem?

3. alltentoes October 12, 2012 at 09:05 #

Hi Catherine
    Let me have your address and I’ll send you a book!

4. bridget whelan October 12, 2012 at 09:33 #

I thought I would fall in love with the Kindle I had skillfully acquired last Christmas (drip feeding carefully worded hints from August on, then leaving the computer open at the right Amazon page, then asking flat out what did himself want because the bit of paper I was waving under his nose was my list) but it’s been a lackluster affair.
    Yes, it’s useful in some situations – such as not paying a huge amount in access baggage – and I like the fact that you can download a file to it, easier to read than on screen and saves printing out, but no way does it replace the printed word. It is not the same as vinyl and CDs.
    And I hate the fact that you don’t own an ebook in the same way as a real one. I like books on the shelf too but I also like passing them on and getting others back.
    So don’t feel you are being disloyal when you get your kindle Catherine – it’s will be useful friendship, not the love of your life!

5. Roy McCarthy October 12, 2012 at 10:35 #

Sure why not have the best of both worlds? I’m pleased to have my Kindle but it is a temptation to click away compulsively buying stuff.
    I’m amazed you get the time to write Catherine, being such an avid devourer of the works of others.

6. Peter Hall October 12, 2012 at 11:57 #

I too have been agonizing over the Kindle question, especially as they’ve come down in price. Given that Jeff Bezos has said that it’s not the aim to make money on the devices but the content then I’m hoping they’ll become even cheaper. Another for factor is that friends who use reading glasses say that Kindles are good and you can read them without the glasses. Could put back the evil day of needing the varifocals! Having said that you can’t sell a used ebook or donate it to charity. And if you’re a tight wad then a second hand paperback is often cheaper than a kindle ebook even allowing for amazon marketplace postage.

And then there’s some books that would be just plain wrong to be reading electronically. For example I’ve just got a new hardback of Philip Hensher’s The Missing Ink: The Lost Art of Handwriting (and why it still matters). Smells wonderful.

PS Enjoying Self-Printed 2.0

7. Tim McGregor October 12, 2012 at 11:58 #

I completely understand the reluctance to get a Kindle, Catherine. I used to think so too, until I got one. The convenience alone is remarkable but it’s also useful for editing the e-version of your latest work.

The downside is the immediate gratification. One click to buy a book? On a spur of the moment, as opposed to hauling your butt to a book store? It can be costly.

• Kim October 12, 2012 at 17:07 #

Ahahaha. Solid advice.

8. @walkaboutjim October 12, 2012 at 13:29 #

Two points from me. First, it’s odd (to me, anyway) that anyone who makes significant income from the Kindle doesn’t have one—if for nothing else than just understanding what it’s all about. It almost seems hypocritical—‘buy my Kindle book, but I don’t like it, myself.’

Second, I suspect Catherine will be surprised how much she does enjoy reading on the Kindle. After all, what we’re (mostly) after is the words—the gist, the story, the meaning.

It’s very similar, I think, to the move from physical music devices (LPs, CDs, even cassettes) to MP3s. Convenience trumps quality—MP3s are absolutely not as good as earlier methods for sound quality—BUT people are willing to make that tradeoff. Some audiophiles won’t switch, but for convenience, most eventually will. (And MP3s are getting better, and that will probably continue),

Catherine is right—the experience of a book is wonderful . . .but sometimes–actually, often—the ‘book experience’ isn’t really that important-but that will vary with individuals and by the kind of book. I don’t think you’d want to enjoy a beautiful book of photos, or a lavishly-illustrated children’s book on the Kindle….but a detective story, or genre novel, or how-to book? Those I MUCH prefer on the Kindle.

And . . .I’m realizing, much to my chagrin, that we have a house FULL of books that collect dust, mites, and mold, that are heavy, and that are more THINGS to own and thus more THINGS that own us. With my Kindles (yep, we have 2 of them), it’s just the reading, ma’am, that we’re doing, and I feel liberated!

I would never have thought I’d say this, much less write it in public. But I’m a total Kindle convert. I FIRST look for 95% of my book purchases on the Kindle, and I’m disappointed if there isn’t a Kindle edition.

• catherineryanhoward October 12, 2012 at 15:21 #

I’m well aware of “what’s it all about”—there is a Kindle in my house, it’s just not mine. I recommended in my last post that every author ensure that they are familiar with how a Kindle book looks and how shopping in the Kindle store via the device works BEFORE they consider publishing a Kindle book.

9. Jamie Clarke Chavez October 12, 2012 at 13:36 #

I’m right there with you. Love my books and will never part with them. But… there is no substitute for a Kindle when you’re traveling, full stop. (I’d been accumulating several to take with my on my recent trip to your fair country.) However, there are some caveats (for me). I prefer nonfiction in paper form, because I usually want to make notes in the margins, and Kindle’s version of notetaking sucks. It also sucks if you want to flip back to an earlier page to reread… like the family tree at the beginning of Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall. I’ll be re-buying that in paper. But for light reading on vacation, the Kindle can’t be beat.

10. Gregory Carrico October 12, 2012 at 13:49 #

Hi Catherine, Fun post. I’d love to see a pic of that yogurt isle ;-)
    I don’t understand the “one or the other” mentality regarding paper v. digital. There’s no need to compare, contrast, or decide. There is a delightful tactile experience involved in holding and smelling a paper book; in the feel of the paper between your fingers as you turn the page. But there’s also a wonderfully modern sense of joy at the instant gratification of buying and reading a book you’ve been waiting for, in your pajamas, 30 seconds after its release.
    If anyone feels like they have to make a choice, I say: Choose both. Love them both for what they are, don’t hate them for what they are not.
    Cheers!
    Greg

• catherineryanhoward October 12, 2012 at 15:22 #

I think that’s what I’m coming to: choosing both. There’s definitely different types of books I want to buy and keep, and others I’m happy to speed through on a device. Just like movies: there’s ones I want to buy on DVD and ones I wouldn’t bother with unless they were on a terrestrial TV channel. :-D

• Keris October 13, 2012 at 09:11 #

This! Exactly this. :)

11. Katja October 12, 2012 at 14:09 #

Oh…the yogurt aisles in France….I dream of them often.

I bought an e-reader last year, and while I understand the practicality of it for a reader who travels, it is gathering dust on a side table. I guess I’m a slave to tactile sensations. I love turning the pages, caressing the cover as I finish a favourite, and arranging them with care and (personal) logic on our bookshelves.

12. chemistken October 12, 2012 at 14:38 #

I also love the feel of a book in my hand and they look great on a bookshelf, but I love my Kindle Fire. I tend to read several books at once, and the Kindle lets me carry them all so I can pick and choose. From one of the posts above, it sounds as though the Fire isn’t available outside the US, which is too bad. Being able to read, listen to music, and watch Youtube videos while curled up in bed is just too fantastic for words.

• Keris October 13, 2012 at 09:12 #

Kindle Fire is released in the UK later this month. But I think I’m going to go for the Kindle Paperwhite…

• thetorontodiarist October 15, 2012 at 17:46 #

It sucks that Amazon is releasing the Fire in the UK and not nearby Canada. They’re missing out on a market, Everyone on the trains and buses reads all the time.

13. Ellen M. Gregg October 12, 2012 at 15:02 #

Do it, Catherine! Do it! Imagine timing it so when you arrive at home in late November, there is a lovely box awaiting your attention, and inside is your Paperwhite or Fire or Touch. :-) I’m a second year convert to ebooks, after being a print purist for 45 years. Growth in the less-is-more department fanned that flame, and now there is no turning back. All my craft books are available at the press of a button. All my trashy guilty pleasure books are easily hidden at my beck and call. And there are so many free (FREE!) offerings to sample – like the today-only deal, One Good Deed, offered by Abrams on Amazon and B&N. Be Nike. Just do it. ;-)

14. Jazz October 12, 2012 at 15:03 #

When I got my first Kindle it was a gift, and though I’d been wanting one, I thought it would never replace my print books. When I started reading on it I realized that, for me, the story is much more important than the support. Then I got a Kobo (simply because you can get library books on it and books from pretty much any bookstore that sells electronic which you can’t do with the kindle). And then my Kindle died and I had palpitations and replaced it with my Touch and really? I hardly ever read paper anymore except art books and comics. I love my ereaders.

15. Nicola Higgins October 12, 2012 at 16:14 #

I don’t have a Kindle, but I do use the Kindle app on my phone. It’s great for travelling, but there is one caveat; if you’re on a plane you need paper books for that annoying period of take off and landing. No electronic devices allowed!

• catherineryanhoward October 12, 2012 at 17:34 #

Excellent point, Nicola—that’s something I always think about when flying!

16. Kim October 12, 2012 at 17:12 #

I’m with you on wanting the physical books around – the memories, the smell, the friends you can stack on a shelf. But the visual of hulking the bag to the overhead compartment has nearly sold me on the kindle. Nearly.

17. thomasinaburke October 12, 2012 at 17:17 #

I held off for a long time, and while I still love to fondle my “real” books, I also caress my Kindle Fire (once you pick the perfect cover for it!) daily. Lying in bed, getting ready to doze off, my Kindle gently illuminates the night and offers a smorgasboard of delightful books. Also, you can “lend” out your ebooks to friends, download samples, and check out new authors with daily freebies. Nothing will ever replace the tangible feel of turning pages of a book, but the Kindle’s perks are hard to beat.

18. Marilyn Slagel October 12, 2012 at 17:23 #

You MUST get an ereader! They are so freeing and everything is just a click away!

19. Karin October 12, 2012 at 20:07 #

So, I love physical books as an art form, and I love the feeling of turning pages…but this week, when one of my kiddos needed a book from the library ASAP and the physical copy was checked out already, we were able to download it electronically (& free) through the library system’s agreement (we used the Kindle app on and iPhone). I think ebooks have their place in society, but I still relish the thought of owning and holding a book (& when I publish my work, I would like it to be in book form…at least once…so I can hold it and see it on a shelf an turn its pages). Have fun in France!!!! :)

20. Sleipnir October 12, 2012 at 23:06 #

I love the feel, and the smell, of books. I love the wonderful old book smell of the Old Library in Trinity College Dublin. I have hundreds of books, possibly 2000+. But I, like another poster, have a problem with my hands, so holding many books is just too painful. That, for me, is one of the joys of the Kindle. I can hold it, and use it, for hours, without pain!

As for travelling LOL In my youth, my luggage also consisted mostly of books. After injuries that left me using one, or two, crutches / walking sticks to get around, I had to learn to travel with just one bag, one that I can easily carry on my back, leaving my hands free. Once my overnight kit is packed, the rest gets filled with books. Now that I have a Kindle, which I bought a few months ago, I can carry as many books as I like, while still travelling with just my one backpack sized bag, and no need to worry about baggage weight. Happy days!

21. The Siren's Tale October 13, 2012 at 00:00 #

While I see the perks of an e-reader, it just wouldn’t give the same satisfaction as a paperback or hard cover in my hands. The smell of the book, the crispness of the new pages… it’s love.

22. Keris October 13, 2012 at 09:13 #

Great post, Catherine, but I mainly just wanted to tell you how envious I am – HUGE pile of books, writing *and* France? Sigh.

23. MarinaSofia October 13, 2012 at 11:37 #

Ah, Catherine, I have so much sympathy for that position! I’ve just been on a three day business trip and my tiny suitcase was filled up mostly with books (three paperbacks and two graphic novels). I just about managed to keep them going until I returned home, but was starting to panic that I would run out of reading matter. All the while, my husband’s Kindle could have done the trick (if he would be willing to lend it to me) – except I really do not like reading on a Kindle! Still, I have to sometimes, as many publishers prefer to send review copies on an e-reader now. So, a reluctant conversion to e-books, it sounds like, for you and me both.
    Good luck with getting lots of good writing done in France.

24. Lauren Clark (@LaurenClark_Bks) October 13, 2012 at 13:29 #

I have to agree that there are so many lovely keepsake books but there are also the “Brain Candy” books that a person reads, enjoys, but likely won’t read cover to cover again. Those are my Kindle books. And I love my Kindle while on trips! xx, Lauren

25. thirtysomethingbride October 13, 2012 at 13:39 #

My Kindle enabled me to go on a reading binge the likes of which I haven’t managed since childhood…finishing a book at one o’clock in the morning, I could instantly download the sequel and continue reading through the night. True indulgence.

26. ktwhy October 13, 2012 at 16:28 #

I completely identify with your mixed emotions about ereaders. I moved to Japan over a year ago, and initially refused to buy one…then I realized how much I was spending on books (not that the ebooks are much cheaper). I realized how many of them I was NOT going to have space for in my suitcase when I move home, and how inconvenient it is to find English books here in the first place. I missed the ease of acquisition, and the choice. After a year, I finally broke down and bought one, and though I still prefer the experience I get from reading a tangible book, the stories are still there, which in the end is the most important. Regardless, books are beautiful and I will never abandon them completely.

27. Mary J. McCoy-Dressel October 13, 2012 at 16:40 #

I love physical books and always have, but I love my Kindle Fire more every day.

28. Ryshia Kennie October 13, 2012 at 16:43 #

I’ve had a kindle for a few years and couldn’t be without an e-reader of some type now. I still love and read a lot of print books and have my bookshelves full but there are so many books out there that I just want to read and not have cluttering my house. My one gripe with Kindle – no access to the public library in Canada. Other than that one major flaw, for trips I find it irreplaceable and I love the sample option. Saves a lot of disappointment over a book that didn’t live up to it’s description and reviews – first chapters are usually pretty telling.

29. Tricia Grissom (@TriciaGrissom) October 13, 2012 at 17:50 #

Come over to the Kindle dark side. We eat books like cookies :)

30. Marcus Clearspring October 14, 2012 at 00:22 #

It may be worth waiting for the Kindle Paperwhite to be released in Europe. The reviews I heard when it came out said it was the best for pure reading.

The Kindle Fire is intended for multimedia. e.g. movies and Internet. Google’s Nexus 7 tablet is the thing to check out for those. You have access to all apps which Amazon does not offer.

The Kindle’s with e-ink are the ones for ebook reading. That seems to be the consensus from reviewers and people who have both e-ink and back-lit devices.

31. Lizzy Daw October 14, 2012 at 09:45 #

There’s room for both print and Kindle versions of books for all the reasons mentioned in the posts above. And bear this in mind – if it wasn’t for Kindle, I wouldn’t have found Mousetrapped and that really would have been a loss :-)) Go on – you know you want to…

32. aka gringita October 14, 2012 at 17:29 #

I resisted the Kindle, but got one as a gift and discovered the joy of being able to pack for a beach vacation (read as: need an entire library on hand because of the speed at which I will devour books at the seaside). A $25 investment in a protective case against sand and water made the Kindle well worth it (I’m sure I packed 100 lbs less thanks to the Kindle). Plus I love the instant-ness of being able to get something new if I DO work my way through everything I have on hand. BUT… they still make you turn off all electronic devices during take-off and landing, if you’re going on vacation by plane. Ergo, paper books are still necessary at least for those windows of time. (Plus, they never need recharging!)

33. sporkdelis October 15, 2012 at 13:28 #

I have my books that get bought on my e-reader, and my books that get bought in print. That is, my value added books need to be print. Right now I read most of those big blockbusters from the library, then buy the ones I like. I’m a read it over and over again kind of person, so I don’t even lose anything by having them around.

34. Rachael October 15, 2012 at 17:18 #

Oooh, have faced the same problem, and have solved it (mostly) with a bit of a hybrid approach. Like you, I’m just not convinced that falling asleep to the unnatural glow of an electronic device will ever cut it against the familiar and comforting weight of a paperback in your hands.

Many of the big online booksellers deliver free to most European destinations, including France. So this summer, fed up of actually considering the weight as well as the title of a book before going on holiday, I went on a little spending spree on Play.com buying books and DVD box-sets, stuck in my parents’ French address, and hoped for the best.

Woohoo! It worked, and they didn’t even have to sign for them. When I emerged from the seventh circle of Ryanair hell and made it to my parents’ house, there was a large pile of unopened post with two weeks’ worth of glorious reading and DVD-watching inside.

Secondly, I have a ‘book’ downloaded on my Kindle app for the flight, which means lots of space for hairdryers on the way out, and illicit cheese smuggling on the way back. Works for me!

• cfc October 24, 2012 at 15:05 #

Dedicated ereaders don’t glow. They use a technology called e-ink, which is almost exactly like reading the printed page — clean black words on a white-ish background, lit only by whatever light is on hand (though some have an optional built in light). It’s an important difference, because it’s much easier on the eyes and feels much more natural than staring at the “unnatural glow of an electronic device” all day.

35. Mary October 16, 2012 at 00:53 #

So glad I stumbled upon this blog. I felt like you did about Kindles…and boycotted them for a while….but then I slowly warmed up to the idea…and then found myself asking for one last year before I traveled for work. I’m now a Kindle fan…Fire to be exact.

36. cherylmahoney October 18, 2012 at 01:39 #

I also lugged a stack of books with me when I went on vacation. I just couldn’t get excited about the idea of sitting in Kensington Gardens with a Kindle…when I could be holding my 1902 edition of J. M. Barrie’s The Little White Bird or Adventures in Kensington Gardens. Just a bit more history in the physical book!

37. Writer / Mummy October 18, 2012 at 16:41 #

My husband has pre-ordered me a kindle fire for my birthday and I’m still in two minds about it… It might just end up a way of surfing the net rather than a device for reading books. You can’t flick through a kindle. That said, I really wish I’d had one when I was travelling, just as I wish I’d had an ipod instead of carting round a box of CDs and going through endless batteries… I still like CDs but I have to admit the ipod is more practical!

38. Autumn Roads October 19, 2012 at 21:30 #

Hey Catherine, I love your posts and this one is so far my favorite! I saw that you have the book with you from JoJo, can you please tell me when you read it, if it’s a good one? I still have the other on my selve (Me before You) and that’s the first novel I will grab when I finished the one I’m reading at the moment.

I live in the Netherlands but most books I read in English, it’s more fun :)

About the Kindle, I have a tablet with Kindle on it but I never use it. Some how I forget that there are books on the damn thing or I’m playing games or start e-mailing instead of reading a book. So I just buy paperbacks that I can see lying next to my bed and grab it when I got the time.

Please let me know about the JoJo book and maybe I will order it too! :) THANKS!

39. dalesittonrogers October 21, 2012 at 21:07 #

My husband and I are in agreement with you concerning both having actual books and the reasons to get a Kindle. We don’t have one yet, and I just recently downloaded my first book onto our computer via a free Kindle app. Every time we move we have so many books to pack, and the cost is also a factor. So, while we’ll probably never give up on the paper version completely, I think we’ll find ourselves further immersed in the 21st century pretty soon.

Enjoy your stay in France! I wish we were there too!

40. cfc October 24, 2012 at 14:59 #

Be aware that ALL new Kindles show you advertising. Also, the Kindle has most of its memory “locked” to books bought through Amazon — technically you can put e-books purchased from other, cheaper stores on it, but it provides very little memory that you are allowed to use that way. You’re effectively forced to buy all your e-books through Amazon, even though Amazon almost never has the best prices on e-books. Additionally, Amazon can delete e-books off your Kindle without your permission at any time. The Barnes & Noble Nook has almost exactly the same drawbacks, but is tied to B&N Online instead.

My wife ended up buying a Sony Ereader instead, and we haven’t regretted it once. It’s about the same price as a Kindle or Nook, depending on the model, but it’s completely free of advertising, and you can use it to read any type of e-book you want — regardless of whether you bought it from Amazon, B&N Online or any of the numerous smaller and much cheaper e-book sellers out there. The Sony Ereader also supports PDF, which is the single most common format for traditionally published books when they get distributed digitally.

Also, while all three of these options use software based on Google’s Android, the Sony Ereader is the only one that uses Android without heavy modifications, meaning it has the best compatibility with the many apps available for Android, allowing you to do much more with your Ereader if you choose.

41. lizawiz October 24, 2012 at 17:26 #

I hate reading on a tablet/ipad. they are absolutely dreadful… I just absolutely love turning pages, folding the corner of the page… highlighting… the smell of books… and the fact that a light is not glaring into my eyes. that being said, I happily enjoy my android tablet and using it for other things, like music lead sheets and various papers I have to take with me. my whole textbooks I teach from are on my tablet – soooo much easier.

Personal reading? a book. thanks.
    lizawiz.wordpress.com

42. helenrov November 2, 2012 at 19:58 #

I totally agree on the front that reading from a Kindle will never compare to reading from a paperback. That said, it is preferable over not reading at all, which is why a Kindle was my single 18th birthday present from my parents this year prior to a three month backpacking trip (still in progress).

With hardly enough space for all necessary clothes, let alone all the books I would want to bring… (I managed to limit myself to two physical books which are sitting at the half-way point in Cambridge with my father, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and The Three Musketeers).

I’ve so far read about 15% of Anna Karenina (tough going while reading on a train through Italy… I was continuously distracted by the view out the window!)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Man Who Made Me Buy a Kindle « Catherine, Caffeinated - November 26, 2012

[...] rules for handling printed books (that, sometimes, extend as far as not reading them…!) and traveling on a low-cost airline with no fewer than 25 books hidden in my luggage—I’m buying a Kindle this week. If you’re new to this blog, this will be my first [...]

2. Out of the Office (And Some Suitcase Essentials) | Catherine, Caffeinated - September 5, 2013

[…] Kindle, and they were all during my last holiday. But we can’t have a repeat of what happened the last time I went to Nice, and books weigh a lot, which means less room for Eight O’Clock Coffee and Oreo Cakesters. So […]