Buy SELF-PRINTED 2.0 Now, From Me, For Less

14 Sep

***Please note that as the introductory/discount period has ended, Self-Printed is now $4.99 everywhere it’s on sale (excluding VAT and stuff)***

So—finally—something about Self-Printed 2.0 is on time.

(Sorta.)

As I may have mentioned before, I’ve decided to sell the e-book editions of Self-Printed: The Sane Person’s Guide to Self-Publishing (2nd Edition)—or Self-Printed 2.0 for short—directly to you, my lovely blog readers, first and for less.

From now until September 23rd, this is the only place from which you can download a Mobi (Kindle), ePub or PDF version of Self-Printed 2.0 and do it for just $2.99 (regular price: $4.99).

Waiting for the paperback edition? I don’t blame you, considering Self-Printed is, like, over 300 pages. But it’s not out yet so if you’d like an e-book preview in the meantime, the good news is that each e-book sold from here contains Mission Impossible-style instructions for downloading a coupon code for 30% discount off the paperback from CreateSpace.

That means that you can buy an e-book edition now and a paperback when it’s available and it will cost you less than only buying the paperback.

Here comes the sums bit: buying an e-book edition from here will cost you $2.99. Inside will be instructions on how to access a coupon code for 30% off the paperback on CreateSpace. With a retail price of $15.95, that means the paperback will cost you $11.16. Add $11.16 for the paperback and $2.99 for the e-book and you get $14.15, or $1.80 less than the paperback alone at full price.

You will have to factor in CreateSpace shipping, which will be around $3.59 for shipping within the U.S. and $4.88 to Europe. Still, you’ll have two editions, be able to start reading one of them now and be $1.80 up when you go to get the paperback so this is a pretty good deal, me thinks.

You can browse the table of contents here. It’s a lot shorter than the first edition’s table of contents, only because that one ran on and on and on. And then on for a while longer. So this time around, I kept it to level 1 and 2 headings. The level 3 will just have to be a surprise…

Just click an image below to buy/download the format of your choice or keep reading for the answers to what I’ve guessed will be frequently asked questions…

(What I Presume Will Be) Frequently Asked Questions

I have the old Self-Printed. Do I need the new one?

If you haven’t yet self-published then yes, because so many things are different now to how they were back in May 2010, and then there’s some completely new stuff as well. (The second edition has an extra 16,000 words on the first. My fingers are like claws, I tell you. CLAWS.) If you’re not sure whether or not you need this alongside your copy of 1.0, my advice would be to buy it in e-book, have a read and then decide whether or not it’s worth your while springing for the paperback edition.

What is Gumroad? Is buying from them secure?

Gumroad is a great product that allows you to sell easily online. You give them a file, they give you a link and whenever someone clicks on that link, they collect the cost of the file and send it to the purchaser. Once a month, they send what they’ve collected to you, the seller. You can find out more about Gumroad here.

From a buyer’s point of view, you’ll enter your credit card details and in return, be sent an e-mail with a link to the file you’ve just bought, which you can then download to your computer. Gumroad will NOT store your credit card information unless you sign up for an account, which you don’t have to.

I wouldn’t be using them unless I had the utmost confidence that they were safe and secure. I also gave them my own credit card information to download one of the e-books as a test to see how it all works, etc. and as far as I know no one has stolen my identity and booked a round-the-world air ticket with my Visa.

I want to buy directly from you but don’t want to give Gumroad my credit card information. What can I do?

I would stress that Gumroad is perfectly secure and that I know authors who have sold 1,000s of e-books through Gumroad without incident, but if you really don’t want to use them, then e-mail me at info[a]catherineryanhoward.com. We’ll arrange payment by PayPal (so you can use your PayPal account or let PayPal process a credit card transaction) and then I’ll email you the file. Simples! Although a warning: I may not respond immediately as I might be out drinking coffee somewhere.

Aren’t you always saying that you should drive all sales to Amazon? So what’s up with this?

Yes, I am always saying that, because the way to sell self-published books is to get Amazon to do the hard work for you with their mysterious magical algorithms. However I’m not at the beginning of my self-publishing adventures anymore and so diverting all traffic into a narrow sales path isn’t as important to me as it once was. What is important is offering the loyal readers of this blog a well-deserved discount on a book that contains information they may need, which I can do because I’ve (temporarily) cut out the middle man.

Rest assured in a couple of weeks Self-Printed 2.0 will be available from all the usual places, but at full price ($15.95 in paperback and $4.99 for e-book).

How does the discount on the paperback work?

Inside these e-book edition is a URL and a password. The URL will take you to a password-protected page, where using said password you will be able to access a discount code that will entitle you to 30% off the paperback when you purchase it directly from CreateSpace. The message will then self-destruct in 5… 4… 3… 2…

The idea is that you have the e-book to read now and the paperback to refer to later for the cost of just the paperback were you to go on Amazon and get it from there. You will have to pay shipping to CreateSpace, of course, but it won’t be any different than what you’d pay if you were buying the book from Amazon. The only thing is if you were buying it from Amazon you might be able to add it to some other items and get free Super Saver shipping, but unfortunately there’s no way for me to offer you a discount on Amazon purchases.

What edition is on Amazon right now?

There shouldn’t be any edition on there. I have made the paperback of the first edition of the paperback unavailable and unpublished the corresponding Kindle edition. When they do go on general release, the second editions will be clearly marked.

By the way, if you see the first edition paperback on sale for something ridiculous like £900, it’s not actually for sale at that price. It’s actually out of print—because now that’s it out of date and has been replaced by the second edition, I unpublished it—and that’s just what happens before it switches to “available from these sellers” which is Amazon speak for out of print.

How did you make these e-books?

I made them using Scrivener’s “compile” feature, which exports your book to .mobi and .epub editions. (I made the PDF with Word.)

When will the paperback be available?

From next Friday, 21st September, all going well.

Will this page always be here?

Yes, but after the 23rd—when the e-books go on general release—the e-books will be $4.99, just like they’ll be on Amazon, etc. The lovely people at eBookPartnership are currently doing some conversions for me and it’ll be those that are available from here on a permanent basis. My long-term plan is to have all my e-book titles available direct in this way.

What coffee do you recommend I drink while reading Self-Printed 2.0?

At the moment I’m really into a lungo (or long espresso) made with Nespresso Arpeggio capsules and topped up with boiling water at home, and flat whites from a fantastic Irish coffee chain with the best name ever, Insomnia, when I’m not. Although any large quantity of a caffeinated substance will do…

Any other questions…?

(This page has a permanent home here.)

20 Responses to “Buy SELF-PRINTED 2.0 Now, From Me, For Less”

1. Normandie September 14, 2012 at 00:23 #

Brava, Catherine. Your words intrigue, as always.

2. walshachill September 14, 2012 at 00:26 #

I am in knots right now – and it ain’t funny… Quite some time ago I downloaded Amazon Kindle to my desktop – for free. I then began to build a library: at least two of your publications, Catherine, and some of my own – paperback and Kindle… A fair outlay. For the past week or more when I click on the Kindle icon on my desktop, the wheel goes round and round, then stops. What the Hell is going on, I ask no one in particular?! Amazon Help no help at all. Has anyone had a similar experience? ‘Would appreciate any advice you can offer, Catherine…

• Tony September 18, 2012 at 13:47 #

I had a similar experience – Kindle simply wouldn’t start. In the end I downloaded another free copy and and that is now working fine (for the time being!) It still access my original library.

3. Chihuahua Zero September 14, 2012 at 00:53 #

Okay, you’re tempting me to begging my mom to buy a book from you.

4. Jessica Burde September 14, 2012 at 02:48 #

Do I have to drink coffee while I read it? I much prefer tea.

5. Roy McCarthy September 14, 2012 at 14:43 #

Reblogged this on Back On The Rock and commented:
    There’s a huge amount of helpful information out there for those getting into the self-publishing game. But Catherine Ryan Howard offers what must be the definitive guide, and it’s out now and cheap as chips. Read on.

6. Peter Hall (decaffinated) September 14, 2012 at 15:05 #

It’s a done deal and for less than the price of a packet of decaffinated Lavazza!

7. Sharon September 14, 2012 at 16:13 #

Hi Catherine,

This approach is so smart and innovative! How can anyone not buy both! You have to! Awesome.

I look forward to giving it a try. Will let you know if I run across any problems. One question for the frequently asked list – if I download it from your site how will I get it onto my Kindle.

I’m shocked at the number of pages – 300 is huge, meaning pretty costly on CreateSpace. Must’ve been a tough decision.

• catherineryanhoward September 14, 2012 at 16:34 #

Hi Sharon,
      I don’t own a Kindle but I think you can either e-mail the file to it (via Amazon) or simply transfer it as you would any other file via the USB connection. Kindle owners can correct me if I’m wrong…?

• Sharon September 14, 2012 at 18:57 #

Hi Catherine!

Yes, I just did it and it was super simple. I had JUST bought a Kindle (I read Self-Printed 1.0 on my Iphone, believe it or not) and didn’t realize the Kindle even had a USB cord. It does, and it was super easy to download the file to my computer and copy over on USB. So, all set for a nice cozy read.

I liked Gumroad too, by the way, simple and elegant.

8. Z D Sleipnir September 14, 2012 at 18:57 #

Woohoo – it’s out! *happy dance) I have my eBook version, and I am looking forward to getting the printed copy too. Now to alert my friends, who also write, that your book is available, before putting on the next pot of coffee.

9. Sharon September 16, 2012 at 00:06 #

You mention that you used Scrivener for the epub and mobi, but that EBookParnership is preparing your final versions. My Scrivener-generated Kindle version looks great, absolutely flawless so far. If the epub is this good…….. Was there a problem with the Scrivener version of the epub? Can you answer that without incurring a lawsuit? If not, just pretend you didn’t see this.

• catherineryanhoward September 16, 2012 at 00:52 #

LOL! Delighted to hear your e-book looks good (phew!) and no, there was no problem with Scrivener at all; I was well impressed with how it made the ePub and Mobi editions, it even did things like bulleted lists. But I’m interested to see how the Ebook Partnership version (coded by a human!) turns out. For straightforward books (like novels) though, Scrivener is pretty amazing at making ebooks.

10. Georgie Girl September 16, 2012 at 05:53 #

Hello, I just thought I’d let you know that I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blogger award. Check it out at:

girlslovebooks.wordpress.com

best of luck!

11. Peggy Murray September 16, 2012 at 18:41 #

Hi Catherine, enjoy the upcoming writing break to warmer climes.I am really doing a test check on how many of the blogs on my sidebar allow me to leave comments, word verification is the bane of my life at the moment!

• catherineryanhoward September 17, 2012 at 10:29 #

Thanks Peggy! Is it my imagination or is that word verification thing getting harder and harder? I can’t read half of them.

12. angelapeart September 20, 2012 at 18:50 #

I love learning about new avenues and possibilities, like Gumroad! So good to know there are other safe places to conduct author-reader business outside Amazon.
    And I’m excited about the Self-Printed 2.0!

13. Sally Harris (@franklybooks) September 23, 2012 at 05:24 #

How did you find using Scrivener, Catherine? I already love it for formatting manuscripts and I’m about to use it to format my first ebook this week. I’ve had a quick play and it looks suspiciously easy (compared to reading about formatting ebooks in Self-Printed 2.0 which makes it appear nightmare-ish) … any tips before I get started?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Did You Win SELF-PRINTED 2.0? And Other Stuff « Catherine, Caffeinated - September 18, 2012

[…] have until the end of this week to buy Self-Printed directly from me for the special price of $2.99 (regular price: $4.99). You can buy the ePub, Mobi (Kindle) or PDF […]