Depending on where in the world you are, as you read these words I will either be:
- Drinking bad coffee at Dublin Airport
- Drinking terrible coffee in a plane over the Atlantic
- Not thinking at all about coffee because I’ve just arrived in Las Vegas and now it’s cocktail hour around the clock.
I turn 30 soon—DEAR GOD what a truly terrifying idea. After today, let’s never speak of this again— and there’s only one thing left on my Things To Do Before I Turn 30 list that I can control, and that’s visit the Grand Canyon.
(If you’re wondering, there’s only one left on there that I can’t control, and that’s get a book deal. But I’ve extended that deadline to 31, I’ve decided.)
There seemed little point in flying a few thousand miles just to hop out, see the Grand Canyon, hop back in and fly home, so we’re spending a few days in Las Vegas and then making LA our home for a few nights while we explore Southern California as well.
Things I’m looking forward to:
- Not being in Cork
- Vitamin D
- Seeing my faraway friends
- Seeing the Grand Canyon
- Potentially seeing the Hoover Dam
- Visiting places like Venice Beach, Laguna Beach, San Diego, etc.
Things I’m not looking forward to:
- Turning 30
- 8+ hours in economy
- The desert in June
- The temptation of Barnes and Noble
- Not being a size 0 in the city of The Great Underweight
- Staying in a LA hotel that’s so painfully trendy it may hurt itself
- My inbox when I get back.
I’ll let you know how it goes. I may post the occasional jealous-making pic on Twitter, but other than that—if even that—I’ll be offline.
I’ll be back on Monday 26th June.