Leaving (for) Las Vegas

11 Jun

Depending on where in the world you are, as you read these words I will either be:

• Drinking bad coffee at Dublin Airport
  • Drinking terrible coffee in a plane over the Atlantic
  • Not thinking at all about coffee because I’ve just arrived in Las Vegas and now it’s cocktail hour around the clock.

I turn 30 soon—DEAR GOD what a truly terrifying idea. After today, let’s never speak of this again— and there’s only one thing left on my Things To Do Before I Turn 30 list that I can control, and that’s visit the Grand Canyon.

(If you’re wondering, there’s only one left on there that I can’t control, and that’s get a book deal. But I’ve extended that deadline to 31, I’ve decided.)

There seemed little point in flying a few thousand miles just to hop out, see the Grand Canyon, hop back in and fly home, so we’re spending a few days in Las Vegas and then making LA our home for a few nights while we explore Southern California as well.

Things I’m looking forward to:

• Not being in Cork
  • Cocktails
  • Vitamin D
  • Seeing my faraway friends
  • Seeing the Grand Canyon
  • Potentially seeing the Hoover Dam
  • Visiting places like Venice Beach, Laguna Beach, San Diego, etc.

Things I’m not looking forward to:

• Turning 30
  • 8+ hours in economy
  • The desert in June
  • The temptation of Barnes and Noble
  • Not being a size 0 in the city of The Great Underweight
  • Staying in a LA hotel that’s so painfully trendy it may hurt itself
  • My inbox when I get back.

I’ll let you know how it goes. I may post the occasional jealous-making pic on Twitter, but other than that—if even that—I’ll be offline.

I’ll be back on Monday 26th June.

See ya!

14 Responses to “Leaving (for) Las Vegas”

1. idiosyncratic eye June 11, 2012 at 09:12 #

Bon voyage! San Diego is a great city to visit but Las Vegas, well it’s Las Vegas, totally amazing. It’ll be sweltering, it was 100 when we visited in October. Stay near to water and drink plenty. If you get a chance visit Death Valley too. That’ll be warm too! :)

• Kiya Krier - Runs With Blisters June 14, 2012 at 14:43 #

One of he best things about vacation is no internet. No cell phone coverage is a plus too :) Have fun!

2. barbarahenderson June 11, 2012 at 11:35 #

HI Catherine, Have a great time – we went last year! Do not miss the Hoover Dam under any circs – it may sound dull but it’s breathtaking and gives you a sense that anything, however impossible it looks, can be achieved!

3. reuben June 11, 2012 at 12:21 #

Sweetness Life begins at 30. Before then youth gets in the way of really seeing.

4. gardenlilie June 11, 2012 at 13:28 #

Cute! Sounds like you know all about us Americanos. The desert in June, yes, I’ve been there, drink lots of water at breakfast, everyday. What hotel r u staying in Vegas, there are so many!

5. Laura Roberts (@originaloflaura) June 11, 2012 at 13:53 #

Sounds like a fun trip! I’ve been to all your destinations (except for the dangerously hip hotel), and yes, the desert in June is a scary place. Try not to drive through it at high noon, like my family did. “Hey, look! It’s the world’s biggest thermometer, and it reads… 115?!?” Yeah. That was INSIDE the car. Drive at night or early morning and bring lots of water–for you AND the car–and have fun!

6. Louise Behiel June 11, 2012 at 13:54 #

partay time. have fun – you’ll be amazed at how wonderful Vegas is. ditto for southern california. and in truth, 30 is okay too.

7. Mary J. McCoy-Dressel June 11, 2012 at 15:00 #

You’ll be so close to Hoover Dam, you can’t miss it while you’re in Las Vegas. Good luck and have a great time. I’ll say this really low so no one hears–Happy Birthday.

8. cravesadventure June 11, 2012 at 17:36 #

I swear the airlines burn the coffee before serving it – ha! Turning 30 did not really bother me; however, being on the cusp of 40 is for some reason. The Grand Canyon is AMAZING, so enjoy and soak it all in!!! Have a Great Week:)

9. Jacqueline T Lynch June 11, 2012 at 20:29 #

Welcome back to the US. Grand Canyon is stunning, most especially at sunset. Commenters have warned you about drinking water, good. You probably know about the sunscreen thing, too. I hope you do. Safe trip and have a great time.

10. Arlene June 11, 2012 at 20:33 #

Valley of Fire, just outside of Vegas is pretty amazing too – red rocks in all sorts of awesome shapes and sizes! Have great trip and birthday!!

11. Helen June 12, 2012 at 10:06 #

make sure you go say hi to donny and marie, their show is fantastic….oh and do not take a 6 mth old baby to the grand canyon (just in case you felt like it)….they cry all the way there…we stopped in every lay by grrr, have fun :)

12. Jenn Flynn-Shon June 12, 2012 at 19:13 #

You will LOVE the canyon! Its much cooler up in the Flagstaff area then down here in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix resident *waves*!) but still a little toasty. Sunscreen is your BFF and WATER. Copious gallons worth of water because you will dehydrate & have the elevation impact your system if you don’t get enough (trust me, learned the hard way here). The rule of thumb is you will not sweat because its far too dry so if you start getting thirsty/a headache it is already too late. Anyway, that’s my PSA for the day.

Have a great time exploring our little Southwest US corner of the globe (esp San Diego, very jealous its my fave city on the planet).

13. burlesquebaker June 17, 2012 at 13:39 #

Love your blog, love this post!! I’m a humanities/literature graduate student living on the east coast, but originally from southern California. (Born in Santa Monica!) Everything you’re saying is true: some LA neighborhoods are terribly neurotic about their style and body. I remember going to an art party there that was semi-hollywoodish with a red carpet, and all I could think was, “Do these people really know anything about art? They seem more involved with their own posturing than actually talking about art.” HOWEVER, there are some great, relaxed quirky spots that are hidden gems, like Pasadena/Eagle Rock.