A New (And For Now, FREE!) Book by Me

1 Jun

Just over a year ago, I decided to put all my self-printing themed posts together and release them as a little e-book, a sort of “how to” guide as to how I self-published. But as soon as I sat down to do it, I realized that there were huge gaps, and that because of these gaps, no one could really use it as a start-to-end companion to getting their book out into the world. So I set them aside and instead wrote a self-publishing guide from scratch—Self-Printed. (Which I’m currently updating. The second edition is slated for release during the first week of July.) But that still left all the blog posts, so…

Cover design by http://www.designforwriters.com

The Best of Catherine, Caffeinated: Caffeine-Infused Self-Publishing Advice is out now for Kindle!

It’s over 120,000 words of my most popular—and so, let’s hope, useful—blog posts, going back to one of my first ever posts in November 2009, and leading right up to How To Sell Self-Published Books month, which ended yesterday. You can read them in chronological order, look for the information you need by topic or just dip in and out as you please. I figure it’ll be a good taster if you’re not sure whether or not Self-Printed is for you, a good companion if you already have Self-Printed, or an excellent way to catch-up if you’re new to this blog.

Now of course, all the posts in it are still here, online. If you have a week or so to spare, you can start reading through them. I’ve blogged, on average, four times a week for the last two years, my guess is you’ll be blind somewhere around March 2011. Alternatively you can spend sofa change to get them all in the one place, and all ready for your Kindle or Kindle Reading App, and comfortable, reading pleasure.

Except you don’t even have to spend sofa change, because it’s FREE to download for the next five days.

(This would be an example of me using KDP Select not for sales but because I’d like to give away a book for free to a certain group of people, i.e. YOU LOVELY LOT.) All I ask is that if you download it and manage to get through it too, please consider leaving a review on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.

I’ll be your friend forever.

Or at least until next week.

Find The Best of Catherine, Caffeinated on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and all other Kindle stores.

And so ends How To Sell Self-Published Month. I hope you found it as useful as my fingers found it numbing to type. Have a good weekend!

40 Responses to “A New (And For Now, FREE!) Book by Me”

1. GJ Scobie June 1, 2012 at 11:05 #

Thank you! I’ve been following your posts and have made the decision to push one novel with a view to obtaining agent backing while looking to self-publish a second. I will download right away. All the best in the future.

2. GJ Scobie June 1, 2012 at 11:11 #

Got it! Have a great weekend!

3. Ken Preston June 1, 2012 at 11:23 #

I’ve just found this website recently, and so I am looking forward to reading more of your posts in your book. I will definitely leave you a review soon. Thank you!

4. Kathy June 1, 2012 at 12:30 #

Thank you so much. I’ve been reading your posts and want to take my blog, along with some other information, and turn it into a book. My blog is very specific (healing from the loss of a parent), but from the comments I’ve received, I know it’s helped others, so I am hoping a book can do so too. I can’t wait to read your book.

5. Whisks June 1, 2012 at 12:56 #

Thanks, Catherine, and thanks too for this interesting month of posts. I don’t think I’m at the stage of publishing myself (self or otherwise), but I’m just writing and living publication vicariously through you; and I do enjoy your style. Thought I’d say.

6. Paris Franz (@Paris_Franz) June 1, 2012 at 13:18 #

Have just downloaded it, Catherine. I’ll be studying it closely – while drinking coffee, of course.

7. Yesenia Vargas June 1, 2012 at 13:51 #

Awesome! This is great for new followers like me :) About to go download this. Thanks!

8. welcometothemotherhood June 1, 2012 at 14:57 #

Thank you for this series! I just hope I can get my act together and actually WRITE my novel now.

9. Mary J. McCoy-Dressel June 1, 2012 at 15:06 #

Was very happy to grab this, Catherine. Thank you. Since I’m in the process of getting my first Kindle book published, your words are beneficial to me at this point in time. :-)

10. Pink Ninjabi June 1, 2012 at 15:38 #

Awesome, thank you! I have downloaded it and am able to view it even without a Kindle Reader by reading it on my computer, no need to register a Kindle Device. Woo hoo! I have a BlackBerry PlayBook. I definitely have shared this widely, and look forward to reading this! :D

Pink.

11. Laura Roberts (@originaloflaura) June 1, 2012 at 15:46 #

Thanks for this freebie, Catherine. I’ve been enjoying reading your self-printing posts, and just finished the sample for the book, so I’ll be interested in taking a look at your new book!

12. D. Bryant Simmons June 1, 2012 at 16:13 #

I adore your posts so I’m thrilled to have a collection at my fingertips. Just what I need to get my behind in gear and get published. Thanks!

13. Ashley Austrew June 1, 2012 at 16:57 #

SO looking forward to reading this! You’ve inspired me to actually go for it and try to get a book out there. Now I just need to write it… lol

14. TeaSea.Inc (Taryn) June 1, 2012 at 16:58 #

I love you blog – and I just downloaded your book =)

15. Angela Orlowski-Peart June 1, 2012 at 17:04 #

I am quite new to your blog, so, to me, this is such a nice gift. Thank you for taking time to organize all those informative and entertaining post into one (and free!) book. I’m looking forward to reading it on my Kindle – so much easier on my eyes than my tiny iPhone screen :-)

16. Cinda Fernando June 1, 2012 at 17:24 #

I don’t know how I first found your blog, but your advice and humor inspired me to recently self-publish my romantic comedy novel.

I went through most of your old posts with the category of “self-printed,” and while they were infinitely helpful, it will be even better to read them all in one book, organized by topic too.

Thanks, Catherine for making the publishing journey smoother for all of us–and for doing it with caffeinated (and pink) style!

17. cravesadventure June 1, 2012 at 17:29 #

Thanks for sharing! Have a Great Weekend!

18. Mikalee Byerman June 1, 2012 at 17:46 #

Downloading to Kindle as I type — and I really need a new best friend (for a week would be just fine), so I’ll definitely leave a review.

Thank you for inspiring me!

19. Lauren Clark (@LaurenClark_Bks) June 1, 2012 at 18:06 #

Thank you so much Catherine! Am excited to have all of the posts on my Kindle in one neat, tidy book! Love the pink cover, btw! xx, Lauren

20. char June 1, 2012 at 18:19 #

Just got it. Thanks. I look forward to looking through it soon.

21. Emma June 1, 2012 at 18:44 #

Thanks for this Catherine. I found Self-Printed really helpful.

22. JD Revene June 1, 2012 at 21:19 #

Catherine, I’m new to the blog, but I’ve downloaded the book and I’m looking forward to browsing it. Thanks, so much.

23. Sharlea June 2, 2012 at 00:05 #

Thanks! I have enjoyed How To Sell Self-Published Month … now, if I could just make myself get some publishing done.

24. Danielle June 2, 2012 at 03:08 #

Thankyou! :)

25. Laura Roberts (@originaloflaura) June 2, 2012 at 15:14 #

Hi again! I was reading along, and now I can’t find the passage where you wrote this, but you said that fiction sells better than nonfiction when it comes to self-published books. I was wondering if you could explain that, since I’ve been hearing for several years that nonfiction actually sells better. Is this just a personal opinion/experience, or could you link me to some stats? Thanks!

• catherineryanhoward June 2, 2012 at 16:55 #

Hi Laura. That’s really my own experience, but from what I’ve seen, non-fic is easier to sell but fic sells in much larger volumes. As in, it’s easier for me to find ways to convince you to buy my non-fiction book, mainly because it’s written in the same voice as my blog posts, tweets, etc. But you rarely hear of self-publishers selling thousands and thousands of copies of their non-fiction book. All the top sellers, the household names, etc. sell fiction. But whether or not their books sell in the first place is more down to luck than anything else (from what I’ve seen). Fiction, especially genre fiction, has a much larger potential audience too. Does that all make sense?

26. Sabrina Folcia June 2, 2012 at 17:35 #

Thank you. I’ve just downloaded your book. I can’t wait to read it!

27. Arlene June 3, 2012 at 13:58 #

Thank you! This will come in handy if/when I decide to pursue self-publishing. I’ve been reading your blog for only a few short weeks, but really enjoy it and appreciate all of the excellent advice. Thanks again!!!

28. nazarioartpainting June 3, 2012 at 16:07 #

Thank You Catherine.

29. DJ Kirkby June 3, 2012 at 19:10 #

Wow, thank you! I have downloaded it and once I have read it (which may take some time) I will definitely leave a review on Amazon UK

• catherineryanhoward June 4, 2012 at 12:35 #

Thank you!!! (And thanks for your donation, too!) And there’s no rush! :-D

30. Sharon June 4, 2012 at 02:31 #

Totally cool! What a treat. I just finish Self-Printed – thank you, thank you, thank you….. Self Printed has been hugely helpful, beyond words, just what I needed, and on top of being so good, content-wise, I just loved your writing style – so this new book is a nice surprise. And a very good reminder about reviews (which I had completely forgotten about!). I promise to write a glowing (but thoughtful) review about Self-Printed on Amazon, and another about Best of Catherine soon. Thanks again for everything.

• catherineryanhoward June 4, 2012 at 12:35 #

Thank YOU! Glad you found Self-Printed useful. I’m just updating it now, but as it’s delayed (as everything with me always is!) I thought I’d release the blog book in the meantime. Enjoy!

31. Kerri Wood Thomson June 4, 2012 at 14:29 #

Got it! Looking forward to reading it and I will leave a review as soon as I am done. :)

32. charlifarli June 8, 2012 at 13:40 #

Thank you so much for writing such a great book! Even though it’s all on your blog, it’s just so much more convenient in eBook form, and it being free was just icing on the cake. I for one am now much more tempted by your other eBooks, having had a chance to read so much of your writing as a book instead of as a blog, so even though that wasn’t your intention, congrats on your marketing succes ;)

33. Russ Bowden March 31, 2014 at 15:29 #

Hello Catherine, It’s March 31, 2014 and I went to Amazon for your book and it is not currently available for purchase. Reading your “blog” I find you to be very down to earth about becoming self published. I would love to have a copy of your “The Best of Catherine, Caffeinated: Caffeine-Infused Self-Publishing Advice”, could you tell me where I might be able to download it from. Thank you.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Features #7 | Yesenia Vargas - June 1, 2012

[...] A New (And For Now, Free!) Book By Me by Catherine Ryan Howard at Catherine, Caffeinated [...]

2. How Much Should I Charge for My E-Book? « Catherine, Caffeinated - June 4, 2012

[...] an e-book of all my “self-printing” themed posts, The Best of Catherine, Caffeinated. (Which is FREE to download for Kindle until Tuesday.) I’m charging $1.99 for it. This is partly to compensate me for the money I spent on the [...]

3. How Much Should I Charge for My E-Book? « Catherine, Caffeinated | e-Book | Digital Books | e-Book Addict - June 4, 2012

[...] released an e-book of all my “self-printing” themed posts, The Best of Catherine, Caffeinated. (Which is FREE to download for Kindle until Tuesday.) I’m charging $1.99 for it. This is partly to compensate me for the money I spent on the cover [...]