Definitely Lunacy

27 May

As I mentioned on Friday, this weekend I took part in a 20k walk through Cork City—and beneath the stars—in aid of Diabetes Ireland.

The idea came to me approximately 12 days ago when, while daydreaming on a bus, my eyes landed on a poster advertising it and a voice whispered, That would be a fun. And it’s for a good cause. And you could do with some exercise. I thought it was my own voice, but last night I discovered that it actually belonged to an evil bitch who just wants me to suffer pain and punish me for thinking that a sofa spud could just get up one day—or one night—and walk for four and a half hours.

All ready for the walk: water, headphones, protein bars and a complete and utter lack of enthusiasm (not pictured).

The thing is, I didn’t think that. I fully intended to train for this event, building up slowly on the treadmill and then walking sections of the actual route in advance. But as the last couple of weeks have been crazy busy for me, I ended up spending more time drawing up my pretty training plan with multicolored Muji pens than I did doing any significant training.

Blackrock Castle Observatory, one of the stops along the way.

So last night, at 10pm, we set off from the Rochestown Park Hotel here in Cork. By 10.15pm, regret had set in. The whole reason I did this was because it was just a walk. During my temporary relocation to Nice last year, I walked a good seven or eight kilometers every single day, and never felt any worse for it. Dare say, I enjoyed it. (Not as much as sitting down, but still.) I could do this, and I could especially do it if I was raising money for charity at the same time. But as soon as we set off last night, it became immediately apparent that I was the only one who got the “not a race” memo. It was ridiculous. Some people were on the verge of running. And even if they said go at your own pace, you couldn’t really. You had to try and stay with the group, if only to make the stewards life a bit easier.

With about 5 or 6k to go, my left ankle informed me that it wasn’t interested in continuing. There was an ambulance service traveling with us, and the lovely people inside of it wrapped the ankle in a bandage for support and told it to stop being a little bitch and man up. I finished the walk, even though I was more hobbling than walking, and thinking back to how much pain I was feeling, I’m not sure how I did it. (At one point I started reciting the rap to Fresh Prince of Bel Air in my head to take my mind off it; I’d just seen the Will Smith/Gary Barlow duet on Graham Norton the night before.)

So the good news: we finished the walk, and in reasonable time.

The bad news: today it seems I have a sprained ankle.

The other good news is that we’re keeping our MyCharity.ie page open for another little while, so you can still sponsor us. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to those of you who have donated money already. You’ve all been ridiculously generous but seriously, one dollar (or euro or pound!) would do. It’d do better than “do”, it’d be great. And it might make my ankle feel better.

Probably not as much as this codeine-based soluble painkiller will though. *lifts glass* Cheers!

14 Responses to “Definitely Lunacy”

1. gardenlilie May 27, 2012 at 19:16 #

Congrats! Good for you, someone will appreciate it :)!

2. idiosyncratic eye May 27, 2012 at 19:51 #

Well done on doing it! :)

3. nanbush May 27, 2012 at 19:59 #

OK, so I will definitely be going to the gym 3x/week for the next eight weeks because I virtually dared you to do it. (“If I can do this…you can…etc.) You are now a Role Model as well as a source of some delicious reading. Thanks. Oh, and congratulations! Stick with the codeine.

4. Roy McCarthy May 27, 2012 at 21:09 #

You’re a star. Anyone getting out of their comfort zone for others deserves a pat on the back.

5. juststartwithmonday May 27, 2012 at 21:41 #

I can sooooo relate. This brings back memories of multiple of my own such endeavors. Good for you though for finishing. You did it! Smiles.

6. Gwendolyn McIntyre May 27, 2012 at 22:05 #

Congratulations.

7. jasonthemessiah May 28, 2012 at 00:47 #

Definitely agree that inspiration is just as infectious as a smile. Like the advert you spotted this is like my advert. Great blog by the way! :)

8. Elizabeth Bennett RN MSN PhD May 28, 2012 at 01:14 #

Greetings from Seattle! As your walk seems less than pain-free for you, I would like to extend my “thank you” for taking part in the walk. Diabetes claims feet, nerves, eyesight, psyches and lives. You did a great thing to help. Many thanks.

9. Mary J. McCoy-Dressel May 28, 2012 at 02:13 #

Congratulations! That took a lot of guts, but you are an inspiration. Keep that ankle on pillows.

10. Nicolle May 28, 2012 at 06:16 #

Congrats on finishing! It sounds like such a cool idea to have a walk like that under the moon.

On another note, what do you think of the SpaceX launch? When I saw that in the news, it made me think of you wanting to be an astronaut.

11. marjariitta May 28, 2012 at 09:31 #

Well done!

12. Joyce McDonald May 28, 2012 at 15:33 #

You are my hero ! I never would have made it.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Why Promoting Your Book Online is (a bit) Like Fight Club « Catherine, Caffeinated - May 28, 2012

[…] (Yes, it’s a tenuous link but let’s just go with it, okay? It’s Monday, and I have a sprained ankle.) […]

2. Replay 2012 | Why Promoting Your Book Online is (a bit) Like Fight Club « Catherine, Caffeinated - December 12, 2012