It’s A Book!

14 Dec

I love this cute little trailer for Lane Smith’s It’s A Book, a beautifully illustrated children’s title that aims to remind our little people that books work just fine the way they are, thank you very much. (Despite what Jeff Bezos might say.)

“Watch as a book-loving ape and a tech-savvy donkey exchange words…from bestselling author Lane Smith comes this adorable nod to traditional books.”

7 Responses to “It’s A Book!”

1. Rod Griffiths December 14, 2010 at 10:01 #

Very lovely but what is it intended to show? Does it really mean to demonstrate just how limited books are? I immediately started wondering what package was used to make the cartoon, maybe there’s a book about it?

• catherineryanhoward December 14, 2010 at 15:10 #

It’s not supposed to show anything, other than the existence of Smith’s book. But I love that someone is taking a moment to remind children of what books – REAL books, made from trees – are, lest they forget in this e-reader crazed world. And I don’t think they’re limited at all – they work just fine the way they are, and have done for hundreds of years. One of Jeff Bezos’ arguments about “books don’t work” was something along the lines of “they flip open at the wrong page.” ???!! What?! Give me a break!

2. Christy December 14, 2010 at 15:12 #

I love picture books :) The author has a post on his blog about the process of making the book:

• catherineryanhoward December 14, 2010 at 15:25 #

Aw, that’s lovely! I love all the photos of his bookshelves. I hope bookshelves don’t become a thing of the past (although if they do, MY house will be so interesting!!).

Thanks for sharing that Christy. Much appreciated.

3. Keris December 15, 2010 at 23:42 #

I just bought this for Harry and it’s great, but the last line is “It’s a book, jackass.” !!!

• catherineryanhoward December 16, 2010 at 13:53 #

Really? That makes me love it a tiny bit more! :-)

• Keris December 17, 2010 at 09:39 #

I know! But it means I have to explain to Harry why he’s not allowed to say it…